There is nothing like a hearty breakfast in the dead of winter to fuel your body for the day ahead. We thought this recipe from Jackie at The Beeroness would be the perfect sweet breakfast to make after the holidays (especially if you have leftover bread and beer to use). It incorporates our ApreShred Winter Ale which gives the french toast a nice kick of winter spices.
For the Filling:
8 wt ounces mascarpone
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons ApreShred Winter Ale
A pinch of salt
For the French Toast:
1 large load French bread, Brioche or Challah
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup ApreShred Winter Ale
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter
- In a medium bowl, add the mascarpone, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons winter ale and salt. Beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Slice the bread into 3-inch slices (about 8 total).
- Using a sharp knife, make a slit in the center of the bread slices, forming a pocket for the filling.
- In a medium bowl add the eggs, cream, 1/2 cup winter ale, vanilla and sugar, whisk until well combined.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- One at a time spoon the filling into the bread slices. Dip in the egg mixture, making sure to coat well. Remove from the bowl allowing the liquid to drain off the bread.
- Place the French toast in the hot pan, cook on each side until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve warm!